DRDO is India’s prime military research and development agency. The new chairman of DRDO is appointed earlier this week who is none other than, India’s very own Rocket Man, G Satheesh Reddy. The decision was taken by the Appointing Committee of the cabinet. G Satheesh Reddy has a greatly contributed in India’s aeroscope and scientific stream by his research and development in missile system.
Here are 10 things that you must know about the new DRDO chairman, G Satheesh Reddy:
1. He was born in a small village Mahimalaru, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh. He graduated Engineering in Electronics and Communication from the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University.
2. Reddy has a great contribution in India’s aeroscope and is responsible for the successful flight of Agni V. He is known for various successes in the development of technologies related to the aeroscopy.
3. Currently, he is spearheading the ‘Missile Hub of India’ which is Dr. A P J Abdul Kalaam Missile Complex. Besides this, he is also a programme director at Research center Imarat.
4. Because of Reddy, India has back to back three successful missile programme of the medium-range surface-to-air programme.
5. G Satheesh Reddy is the first Indian Defense Scientist to have a fellowship of Royal Institute of navigation in London. This is just on it, Reddy also received a silver medal from the same institute. He was also chosen as the first Indian ever IEI and IEEE award for engineering excellence.
6. On the same year, he was appointed as the Scientific Advisor to the post minister.
7. He holds certain fellowships from prestigious global institutions like the Royal Aeronautical Society (UK), Indian National Academy of Engineering, Computer Society of India (honorary), Aeronautical Society of India, Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Associate) and also a full member diploma as a Foreign Member of Russia’s Academy of Navigation and Motion Control.
8. The new chairman of DRDO has also received awards like the Homi J Bhabha Memorial Award, National Systems Gold Medal, Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya Award and also IETE BV Baliga Memorial Award.
9. Reddy has also received DRDO scientist of the year award and along with that he also been awarded with National Aeronautical Prize as well as National Design Award.
10. He is not just DRDO’s chairman, but also the Secretary of the Department of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D) and the Director General of Missiles and Strategic Systems.